St. Andrew was founded December 6, 1959, as a mission congregation from First Lutheran in downtown Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Affiliated with the United Lutheran Church in America at its inception, St. Andrew became a part of the ELCA when predecessor Lutheran church bodies merged to form the ELCA in 1988.
The vision of St. Andrew is to be:
A welcoming community,
Blessed by God’s grace,
Joyfully serving Jesus Christ and
Spreading the Good News - God’s promise of Eternal Life.
Originally meeting in the gymnasium of Wright Elementary School, the congregation laid the cornerstone for the original church building October 7, 1962. In September of 1971, an addition of three new classrooms was dedicated. In 1985, the current worship space (nave) was constructed and the original worship space was converted into Bethsaida Hall. A new pipe organ, designed by Bigelow and Co., Inc. Organ Builders, was installed and dedicated in 1992.
Dedicated May 15, 2005: St Andrew's motto: "Come and See, All are Welcome, Go and Tell" has been crafted in four fabric panels by Barbara Cartwright and mounted above the Sanctuary doors. These panels are in part the gift of the 2005 Confirmation class and gifts in loving memory of Mrs. "Vonnie" Follette.